Friday 13 May 2011

Every Girl Needs a Gay Besty



Archie Comics recently introduced Riverdale’s first openly gay character.  Kevin, the hot new guy in town, appears in Veronica #202 in a story called, “Isn’t it Bromantic?” And, of course, Veronica decides she has to have this gorgeous, charming new man.   Kevin is then faced with having to let her down easy.  Sound familiar?

If it does, then you’re one of 37% of women who’ve fallen for a gay guy at some point in their lives.  This got me thinking about how I met my first gay friend many years ago.  He was good looking, charming and had the demeanor of a romance novel hero.  Needless to say, I quickly realized that the object of my desire was not remotely interested in women.  But I came out of the experience with a hot male friend always willing to go out and pick up guys with me.

 Since then, I’ve made many more gay male friends – some might say I’m a bit of a fag hag – and I feel extremely fortunate to have so many wonderful and caring men in my life.  In fact, these friendships have been and continue to be such a positive in my life that I think every girl needs a gay besty.  If you don’t a close gay male friend in your life, here’s why you should :

1 – He always thinks you look fabulous!
2 – He’ll happily wait for you while you change outfits five times before going out
3 – He’ll help you pick shoes and accessories to go with that perfect dress
4 – You can touch him, kiss him and hug him without worrying he’ll misunderstand
5 – You can have a few too many cocktails, drape yourself all over him and know he won’t take advantage of the situation
6 – He loves chick flicks as much as you do
7 – He’ll go to hot yoga, pilates and salsa dance classes with you
8 – He’ll diet or binge on cookies and ice cream with you
9 – He loves to shop, ‘do’ brunch and scope out hot guys with you
10 – He always says the right thing
11 – He’ll be your date for that wedding you’re dreading and once you’re there, you can both pick up!
12– He enjoys antiquing and he knows a great decorator
13 – His boyfriend loves you, too
14 – He thinks you’re hilarious when you’re bitchy
15 – He owns as many pairs of shoes as you do
16 – You can cuddle with each other when you’re both lonely
17 – He’ll celebrate your sexual exploits rather than judge you
18 – You can make a pact to marry each other if you haven’t found the man of your dreams by the time you’re 40 or 50 – you decide!
19 –He’ll stop you from dating losers, spending your money on tragic home décor or turning into your mother
20 – And, your boyfriend is not remotely threatened by him

Todd, Steve, Frank and Yves – I love you guys.  Thanks for being some of the best and most caring friends a girl could ask for.  Chris, Liam, Geoff, Guy and Bruno.  I miss you all.  Hope you’re happy and in love. 

What?  When I said fag hag, I wasn’t kidding!

~ Meline

No comments:

Post a Comment